Thursday, May 17, 2007

A picture worth a thousand words


I am amazed that so many people have interest in this. So far though, no response from the Sheriff's office or the County Board of Supervisors.
Rather than retell the story, here are the links.....

Today, my op-ed appeared in the East Valley Tribune.
Last week I came upon a situation in which I arrived at a local business to deliver a speech on accommodating persons with disabilities and ironically could not find a place to park because a Maricopa County Sheriff’s car was unnecessarily parked in what, at the time, was the only available disabled space. I am a wheelchair-user and require a ramp to enter and exit my vehicle.

I snapped a photo of the officer’s car and on Thursday, the EastValleyTribune.com ran the picture with a story entitled, “Deputy did not belong in handicapped parking spot.” I am surprised by how much attention this photo has received and at the comments posted in response to it. I’d like to share with you some of the details that didn’t make the story and respond to some of the comments posted thus far.

First, I did not mean this photo to be an indictment against law enforcement officers, Sheriff Joe or the MCSO.

I do, however, believe the photo epitomizes the situation people face when dealing with accessible parking. I expected a law enforcement officer to have more empathy and better understanding of how precious those accessible spots are for those of us who need them.

The original statements put forth by the MCSO did indeed take responsibility. But, the MCSO spokesperson went on to state “the lot was full, the deputy needed to conduct official business” and that the car was not parked there long. Almost everyone who inappropriately parks in accessible spaces justifies their actions in the same manner.

The missing details are thus. I did circle the lot and luckily the spot next to the deputy came available. I realized before I started down my ramp that there was not enough clearance at the bottom so I waited inside my van until help arrived. While waiting, I watched another woman with an accessible parking hang-tag circle the lot and end up parking in a spot rather far away. This elderly woman hobbled up to the building on her cane past the inappropriately parked deputy’s vehicle. I wonder what she thought as she passed. Some have said “no harm, no foul.” I hope you’ll agree that this would be a much different story if that woman had fallen in the lot and broken her hip; or, if I had gotten to the end of the ramp and remained trapped there unable to wheel up my ramp backward and unable to go forward. As a person with a spinal cord injury, I am far more susceptible to heat stroke than an able-bodied person. Indeed a friend died last summer after been trapped outside for about 20 minutes.

What if the deputy had parked there after I had exited my vehicle and prevented me from getting back into my van? This often happens in parking lots.

As for how much room it takes to maneuver, wheel chair ramps have wings on the sides to protect us from falling off. I must clear the ramp before I can turn. My knees were against the deputy’s vehicle and I could not get the extra inch I needed to clear. These spaces tend to be quite tight.

I too become frustrated when I see people abusing the privilege of accessible parking. They know who they are. I would welcome stricter enforcement of the privilege.

Please realize that for many of us, those spots are our lifeline to living a “normal” life, whatever that may be. I need room for my ramp so that I can get out of my vehicle to work, shop, worship and do all the same day-to-day things that anyone else does. In my wheelchair, I am about the height of your average 10 year old. Wheeling through parking lots can be quite a challenge when cars don’t see me. The accessible spaces also provide a safe route in and out of the building.

My hope in publicizing the photo was that the public would take a moment and consider the importance of accessible parking and the importance of those median spaces in between. If you are not the disabled driver or passenger that was assigned the permit, don’t use it. If you are that person and you are not getting out of the vehicle, don’t use it. Please don’t park your motorcycle or shopping cart in the medians between accessible spaces. I’m not asking that you make my life easy. I just hope you won’t make it impossible.

2 comments:

Shel said...

i am a huge stickler when it comes to how people park. if you check out my other blog (life of shoe) i recently posted about someone and their lovely parking job.

what i don't get is: how hard is it to take the 30 seconds to straighten your car? what nerve do police have parking in handicapped spots? do these people who park like asses not worry that due to their parking inadequacy, their car may get hit or knicked?

grr.....gee, you haven't hit a nerve with me or anything. :) i've gone to the extreme and started putting these under peoples wipers when i see how they've parked: http://www.knockknock.biz/commerce/Pads/Parking-Citation.html

blogauthor said...

Go get 'em.