Wednesday, May 23, 2007

du Jour


Today Djaca and I had lunch at du Jour, the restaurant run by the students of the Arizona Culinary Institute. I am completely stuffed and ready for a nap. What a treat that was! From the amuse bouche, to desert magnificent!

Djaca and I worked on my French. She is a patient teacher and hardly laughs as I slaughter a beautiful, lyrical language. We sat and talked about her life in Paris, our experiences as mothers and celebrity gossip while tuxedo-shirted waitstaff saw to our every need. Our server, Shelly, excitedly talked about her upcoming apprenticeship on a Hawaiian cruise line. I told her stories of working in Bermuda.

It was a lovely reminder that I need to treat myself from time-to-time and also that luxury need not be costly. The entire 4-course lunch was less than $20 a plate. If you have a cooking school in your town, check to see if they run a restaurant. It's well worth the time and the price.

The only down side is that du Jour is only open for lunch. And they are closed 1 week each month. Nonetheless, I will return and bring new friends to savor the food and wine and conversation. For that time, I was whole again.

1 comment:

Nava said...

We have a culinary school in the Wine Country, and been meaning to give it a try for a cope of years now. Thank you for the reminder!

(found your blog via the comment you left for Blogauthor)