Sunday, May 20, 2007

My Garden





I've always felt good when my hands are wrist-deep in dirt. There's something very satifying in the smell and the feel of rich, cool soil and the crisp smell of green. For many years I worked to grow the perfect tomato. Extra hard to do in Arizona's harsh climate.




Since my spinal cord injury, that's felt out of reach. Then I visited my friend Wanda, a chair user for 40 years. She has the most beautiful garden that she tends by herself. And she grows the BEST tomatoes! Yum! If she can, I can.




Yesterday, I worked with a landscaper to design a back yard space where I could get out and garden again. Today, instead of seeing used coffee grounds and egg shells, I see compost. I can taste my tomatoes and basil now.




I'm eager for fall and the upcoming growing season!

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Those tomatoes look awesome. I have quite the brown thumb, unfortunately.