Sunday, January 4, 2009

As If I Needed More Motivation

I woke up this morning unsure that I can truly finish this race. My 50 pound wheelchair is feeling heavier and heavier each time I go out to push. My shoulders are aching and my blisters have blisters. I can barely do the things I need to day-to-day because my hands and shoulders hurt so bad. Not a good thing in a wheelchair user.

This "secret" was posted at PostSecret today. It felt like a sign, a reminder that this marathon is bigger than me. I am humbled and remotivated.

Researchers at the Reeve-Irvine Research Center are ready to begin Human clinical trials in a treatment for infants with SMA1. I have followed the progress of these trials for selfish reasons;. This treatment, once proven successful, will be used to return function to people with chronic spinal cord injuries. People like me and so many others.

If the people of RIRC are willing to dedicate their lives to figuring out how to help babies with SMA1 and how to restore function in people with chronic spinal cord injury, surely I can give a few weeks of pain, sweat and a little blood to support them.

If you're moved by this, I hope you'll participate in whatever manner you can. Of course a financial donation is great but there is so much more that can be done.

Please, sign the petition for SMA while you're at it, sign the petition for spinal cord injury research. Both will only take a second of your time.



And, if you're able, please consider a donation to my marathon effort. All funds go to the Reeve-Irvine Research Center where one day, scientists will announce treatments for both of these horrible conditions.

No comments: