Sunday, March 23, 2008

Voter in a Wheelchair

For the past two years I have worked with the Maricopa County Elections Department to help train election workers how to best assist voters with disabilities. I have tried to make the point that for some getting out and voting is monumental.

Recently I saw
this commercial that makes my point far better than my words ever will. I am so impressed that this company used an actress with a disability and created an honest, authentic portrayal of a slice of life in a wheelchair. Notice the everyday obstacles; weather, transportation, thoughtless barriers to be overcome just to participate in ordinary activities.

Kudos to Liberty Mutual for such a bold decision.

Kudos to Maricopa County Elections Department for their efforts to make voting possible for people with disabilities. I am so very proud of the work being done and for those within the Elections Department, especially Tonia and Tammy who have patiently, tirelessly championed this program.

No comments: